There are undisputable coconut oil benefits for hair, even though it may sound a bit yucky to some. Not only will coconut oil give you gorgeous looking hair at low cost, but it will also treat your scalp at the same time. This is all thanks to the fatty acids that nourish both hair and skin. Still not convinced? If you’ve ever seen the hair of Polynesians you can appreciate just what a fantastic job coconut oil does. You won’t find too many ‘bad hair days’ in places like Tahiti, Samoa or the Cook Islands to name but a few. This is because they treat their hair with this wonderful, natural oil .
The Three Secrets of Beautiful Hair and Skin
It’s not only the hair of the Polynesians that is beautiful either, their skin is also flawless. They do have a secret though, well three actually, namely:
- Coconut Oils
- Monoi oil (a blend of coconut oil permeated with fragrant white flowers, gardenias)
- Kukui Nut
Using coconut oil for hair and skin is one of the three major beauty staples of all Polynesians .
Coconut Oil and Caucasian Hair
Coconut oil is an emollient that works to soften hair. It can also add plasticity, but that’s not all it does. There’s also the pliability factor that coconut oil brings to your crop. Pliable hair bends without effort or risk of breaking. When you treat your hair with coconut oil it won’t swell as much and so it becomes more workable and manageable. This added convenience means it takes less time to do your hair.Pliable hair is just so much easier to style. Well-oiled hair is also glossier, and glossiness (not to be confused with greasy), is a healthy, vibrant look. The oils that deliver these qualities are those with the highest penetration, and coconut oil is at the top of the list .
If your hair suffers from frizz, coconut oil can help to tame that down too. Here are a few other fascinating facts that may surprise you:
- Helps to cure dandruff when mixed with castor oil and a little lukewarm water
- Prevents or removes lice
- Promotes better hair growth
- Helps to extract chewing gum tangled in hair
- Soothes cradle cap
- Wards off folliculitis (inflammation of hair follicles)
- Fights against fungal infections like tinea capitis (ringworm of the scalp) 
Not All Coconut Oils Are Equal
Considering so many wonderful benefits, one can’t help but wonder why everyone hasn’t replaced their expensive, over-the-counter treatments with coconut oil. The reason is likely because people either don’t know about it, or they haven’t used the product in the proper way. For example, someone may use low quality coconut oil normally reserved for cooking. The result in this case would probably be greasy and problematic. It’s healthier to use a quality unrefined coconut oil. Use a product that is specifically for hair and skin care for even better results.
How to Treat Hair with Coconut Oil
It’s easy to treat your hair with coconut oil. Remember, the most important thing is to start with a quality product. Once you have your oil, it’s then just a case of adhering to a set routine. Note that oil below 76 degrees farenheit (24.44 celsius) turns solid and will need melting before you begin (steps 1-3). If your oil is already in liquid form, start from step four below:
- Pour one cup of hot water into a small bowl
- Scoop two of coconut oil out of the jar and putit into a glass cup
- Place the glass cup into the bowl of hot water (step 1). Leave there until the oil melts
- Work the oil thoroughly into damp hair (massage into the scalp as you go)
- Spread the coconut oil evenly by combing it through your hair
- Leave the oil to rest for at least 30 minutes (longer is better)
- Shampoo your hair with warm water (repeat if necessary)
That’s all there is to it. If you prefer to leave the oil in overnight, remember to tuck your hair into a shower cap. Follow these simple steps for gorgeous looking hair that is easy to manage .